Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pipestone Part II

While I've been in Rochester for the past two weeks, I left off a whole day from my Pipestone trip, so this is a make-up.

I got to do the Pipestone Loop again on Saturday under cloudcover, but in better light than Friday night. In the following pictures you can see the sign that greets you at the road, Winnewissa Falls (the highlight of the tail) and proof that Park Rangers are trustworthy since their vending machines in the back room are just boxes stuffed with food.

Winnewissa Falls

Something tells me the real Vikings weren't so trusting

Just inside the park, you will meet the "Three Maidens". Large stones where quarriers will make an offering of tobacco or other precious substance before taking Pipestone out of the park. Off limits to non-Natives there is a sweat lodge and sun dance area for sacred ceremonies. I also found out that the Pipestone owl necklace I bought can mean anything from death to change is coming depending on what tribe you're affiliated with. The folks that actually made the necklace think the latter, so I am free to wear it without fear of death.


On Sunday, I decided to check out the two nearby State Parks. Split Rock Creek was the closest, but an unfortunate sewage spill upstream kept me from staying long. A group of ten of our friends will be camping there in August, so I'll have plenty of time to explore it later.

Twenty miles down the road is Blue Mounds State Park. I still yearn for my Rocky Mountain hiking, but Blue Mounds has 15 miles of hiking trails, beautiful quartzite cliffs, bison, a swimming beach, and rock climbing. I had to kick myself for not coming prepared to hike. With no water, I only got to do a two-mile loop - a very pretty one starting in a prairie along the base of the cliff, climbing steeply through the trees to the top of the cliff and back to the parking lot. I'm excited to strap on my pack and go back. The entire 15 miles will at least keep me busy hiking for one day...


I'm headed back to the park next weekend for its Watertower Festival. Nathan is now in charge of the Pipestone National Monument float, which I hear will include a giant caterpillar.

As promised last time, here are some photos of our loft in Pipestone. They demonstrate why I could never be a real estate agent.

Living Room

Bedroom

Bathroom

Kitchen

No comments: