Sunday, January 24, 2010

Stix n' Twigs

Just when you thought Dickinson, ND was completely devoid of good places to eat (two winters ago, the fanciest place Nathan and I could find to celebrate a promotion was Applebee's), we have a winner! 

Stix n' Twigs opened a few months ago: a cute little urban cafe nestled in the old downtown area.  I've been dying to try it ever since I saw this phrase scrawled across the doors: "innovative organic cuisine".  There's definitely no other place like it in these parts!



Unfortunately, it is only open Monday-Friday for breakfast and lunch, so unless you work downtown you're out of luck.  Last Friday I happened to be in Dickinson near lunch, so I took the opportunity to try this little place out.

It has a great interior atmosphere with a stone fireplace, couches, and a few scattered tables.  It's clear that they specialize in coffee and tea based on the plethora of choices, but they also make pastries and sell organic sodas at the counter.

The food is, indeed organic and many times vegan, ranges from soups/salads to ravioli to sandwiches (including bison burgers) to more adventurous Eastern dishes.  Everything is in the $10-$15 price range except for the soups, salads, and a few appetizers.  I ended up with the Curried Chicken Sandwich, which included peanuts, peanut sauce, curried chicken, cabbage, and a touch of wasabi on a pita flatbread.  It also came with a cup of roasted red pepper soup topped with mozarella and croutons.  The soup was fantastic.  I kind of wish I had gone with my second choice for an entree: the organic black bean daal with naan and a salad only because the purple cabbage on my sandwich made it really hard to eat (tasted delicious, though)! 


Curried Chicken Sandwich w/Organic Raspberry Lemonade

I'm hoping to go back on Monday when I have an appointment in the afternoon.  Can't wait to try something new and delicious!

No comments: