Saturday, March 13, 2010

Return to the Park

I haven't had a drive through Theodore Roosevelt National Park since January.  We only have six weeks left in North Dakota and no concrete plans to return, so it's time to start taking advantage of this beautiful place before we leave!

 Easy to forget these aren't mountains

Not a minute after leaving the house, the sun went away and I started one of the most wildlife-less drives of my life up the only plowed section of the park road.  The prairie dogs were out, but I got all the way onto the slushy East Boundary Road before seeing a single bison, horse, or deer.  I was starting to think there was some kind of Ungulate Council Convention deep in the park, that I hadn't been invited to.

This place is still gorgeous and half-covered with snow.  I find myself really excited to see large sections of prairie peaking out, even if it's still dormant and brown.  Finally, I was able to find tiny bison dots along the East Boundary Road and white-tailed deer in the campground. 


I was about to give up on seeing anything really interesting, when I rounded the final turn right before leaving the park.  There, not 20 feet from my car on the road, were a dozen pronghorns - the closest batch I've ever seen!


It's funny how nature rewards you for being patient, and sometimes apathetic.  I'm hoping soon the park will recognize how long I've waited to see a mountain lion and award me that sighting too.

Square Butte

No comments: