Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Real Kansas

When you think of Kansas, do you think of wheat fields as far as the eye can see and tornadoes?  Where we're at in Central Kansas, aside from the pockets of civilization and amazing wetlands, that's exactly what you get.  I'm not here to dis-spell any myths or stereotypes because they are all true.

Over the past two weeks, I believe we've averaged about one amazing thunderstorm per day.  No tornadoes yet, but when the wind is howling and rain pelting through the improperly installed living room window, you may as well be in the middle of a tornado.  We made the mistake of setting up our weather radio one night and didn't make it three hours before it woke us up.  It is now on silent mode.

Me, guest-starring on Storm Chasers (just kidding, that storm is chasing me)!

I don't think they grow anything besides wheat here, but one thing I didn't realize this that those "Amber waves of grain" are really green in the spring-time.  It doesn't make for boring landscape because I could watch the wind running through a prairie or wheat field for hours.  Now, thanks to our new location, I can.

There are more trees in Kansas today than there were 200 years ago

I was also extremely worried about the rumors I heard about politics and the over-the-top religious zealousness of this state.  In reality, the politics crack me up.  I haven't seen any signs for Democrats yet.  It's not that I don't think there are any, I just think they are in hiding like Anne Frank during World War II.  I also think the Democrats necessarily have to hide under the Republican party banner to get anywhere in this state, so I'm looking forward to examining what each "Republican" says intensely so that I know which Republicans I can vote for with a clear conscience.  The religious thing hasn't been a problem.  Despite the plethora of "Smile: Your Mom Chose Life" billboards, everyone is just super-nice and minds their own business.

There's an incredible sense of community here unlike anywhere else I've ever been.  Let me give you just one example.  These small towns simply cannot support a commercial, for-profit movie theater.  So, the town of Larned came together to build their own.  In just a few years they've raised enough money to pay off their mortgage and buy a new projector capable of running 3-D.  The tickets for adults are $6 and you can get a "small" popcorn and soda for $3 during the show.  All of the workers are volunteers and every cent was raised through the local community.  What's more, their competition seems to be running the for-profit movie theater in Great Bend into the ground.  Not bad!  With this much self-sufficiency, I can see why you might not been too keen on the government taking all your money.  There's a reason Kansas has these stereotypes, but there's also a reason behind the supporting evidence for those stereotypes.  This is a very interesting place.

No comments: