Sunday, June 27, 2010

Location Integration

There are a lot of things I've neglected to blog about this new and interesting location, so as we approach summer's halfway mark, you'll be seeing a few catch-up blogs.  Today's, however, is going to be current.

I went back to Rochester, MN last week to work, see everyone, have an amazing baby shower, and close on our house.  (Yes!!  House is gone and rent is cheap - whoo!)  I find it ironic that while in Rochester - not Kansas - Rochester, I ended up being 1/3 of a mile from an actual tornado that touched down in town on Thursday night.  Here's a photo of the tornado's path put together by one of my co-workers.  (I was staying at a friend's house just slightly off the map to the Northwest, where tornado sirens never went off.)


I had a great time seeing everyone, but it reminded me of just how much I don't know about my new community (and how many people I don't know either)!  Hence, I returned to Kansas with one goal: integrate!

I would say this weekend has been a major integration success!  First, I found out our community has its own little newspaper that comes out on Tuesdays and Fridays called The Tiller & Toiler.  I picked one up Saturday and learned that we have a community garden near our house that you can help weed, then take home your pick of fresh produce.  Not bad!  I also discovered that we have a Farmer's Market every 1st & 3rd Saturday through August.  Good.  Found a place to find out what's going on in town - check!

We'd also heard Great Bend has a Farmer's Market every week on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.  We happened to be in town Thursday so checked it out.  Five vendors with mostly zucchinis.  Sad.  And I thought Rochester, MN's Farmer's Market stunk after coming from Madison.  It doesn't.  In fact, we not only got a zucchini from a local hippie selling produce from his trunk, he also treated us to a bible lesson on why he doesn't sell produce at the Saturday market.  I'd decided right then and there that the Saturday market, the one with all the heathens, was definitely the one for me!  So, I returned Saturday and found 12 vendors with fresh eggs, bread (it's wheat harvest time!), and met a farmer who sells grass-fed beef and chicken, which we can pick up from their farm fresh on slaughter day.  Excellent.  Found some good, organic, local foods - check!

Next, I visited the Great Bend library, which is WAY better than the one in Larned and allows you to check-out more than one book at a time.  Found a place to stock up on kid's books for the munchkin - check!

Friday, we invited everyone at the park over for brats, burgers, and bocce.  It was a really fun night until the mosquitoes came out and broke it all up.  Found a way to make our own fun with some excellent people - check!

So, I'm feeling better about this place already.  It's no Madison, WI (probably the best place I've ever lived), but it'll work for now.

No comments: