Saturday, September 24, 2011

MLK

I love it when people visit because it gives me a good excuse to wander around the National Mall.  Two days after Alison's birthday and only one full week after it opened to the public, I stood in front of a towering Martin Luther King, Jr staring at me with a stern look on his face that could only mean: our work in this country to improve civil liberties is not finished.

Out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope

It was crowded, and probably the most diverse crowd I've ever seen in a National Park.  I most enjoyed bumping into our favorite ranger, who had wandered over after a failed attempt to gather people for a bird hike.

Ranger Nathan King who gets asked often if he is related to MLK.

That day we also discovered a great place to cool our feet and relax...

 National Sculpture Garden Fountain

...and Alison enjoyed wandering around the FDR memorial with her grandparents.


Maybe next time I'll be able to successfully talk someone into paddle-boating on the tidal basin with me!

1 comment:

JanetS said...

I'm your mom's cousin, Rich and Maxine's daughter. This is a great picture of your mom. I am enjoying reading your blogs, found by taking a circuitous route from your comment on Jocelyn's Facebook post, to your Facebook page, to your blog. Mom was just telling me today about your mom flying every week to take care of your daughter, etc. So I thought I'd check you out! Not in a creepy, stalker kind of way. Janet Searles