Thursday, June 19, 2008

AWF & TATO

To my surprise, our Corporate Services Corps team got a pair of new organizations to work for. Instead of working with FINCA International - that one just didn't pan out - me or some of my team members will be working with the African Wildlife Foundation and/or the Tanzanian Association of Tour Operators (their website appears to be down right now).

We should all find out in a few weeks exactly who we're working with. I'm trying to convince the CSC team that I'd be the best one for the African Wildlife Foundation. A few years back I had an idea that I wanted to start a non-profit organization. A type of Private National Park System where I'd buy up as much land filled with as many endemic species as I could. Then, the most important component of the organization would be to teach the local people how to make more money off of tourism than desecrating the land. We could build hotels, give tours, plant more trees, etc and the workers would all be locals. Well, that's very similar to what the AWF project would be doing in Tanzania, which is amazing. However, all of the organizations do such amazing work that I will be very proud to work at any of them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Amber,
the correct address for the Tanzania Association of Tour Operators is:
http://www.tatotz.com/

Dirk