Thursday, October 9, 2008

Last Post From Africa

This will be my last post from Africa, but not my last post about Africa. In a few hours I'll be hopping on a plane to come back to the US. I really thought I wouldn't want to leave, but I am READY to come home!

Over the past couple of weeks, Nathan and I have done and seen some amazing things. I'll be posting later with details and pictures, but here are some of the highlights:

1) Reached the top of Kilimanjaro.
2) Watched a cheetah for 30 minutes from about 10 feet away.
3) Watched two lionesses devour a warthog and listened to them purr the entire time.
4) Saw a plethora of other animals that you'll have to wait to hear about.
5) Went snorkeling in the Indian ocean off of Zanzibar.

There have, unfortunately, been some really, really tough things about being here though, and those are what make me very excited to come home. I am sick of people trying to sell me things every ten feet. I am sick of people making me pay extra because I am not a local. I am sick of the pollution, the garbage, the poverty, the dust, the attitudes (not everyone's mind you - there are plenty of great people here), people peeing on the street, not being able to walk at night, squat toilets, bad service, the list could go on and on and on.

Am I saying that Africa was a bad experience - HECK NO!! It was the best experience! I learned more here in 7 weeks than in 4 months in Spain and 4 years of college. Why am I so happy to come home? Because I like it better in the U.S. Because we have it so good and I want to cherish and take advantage of all of the little luxuries that we've worked so hard to have. We have an awesome country and yes, we've still got problems, but being here makes them seem almost trivial.

I'm sure I'll miss Tanzania a lot when I'm gone and I'll forget about all of the annoyances I just listed, but for now, I'm enjoying holding onto this plane ticket home! See everyone soon!

No comments: