Sunday, April 5, 2009

Food, Glorious Food

A few months ago, the movie Fast Food Nation arrived in our mailbox. A fictional version of the book, which is far superior, its final scene of the grotesque killing floor of a beef processing plant in Colorado made Nathan and I decide that we would try to eat less meat from then on.

We were already trying to eat better meat. We only buy cage-free chicken eggs and try to find grass-fed beef and hormone-free chicken whenever possible. I have nothing against eating meat, it's GOOOOOD, but it seems my gut could benefit from some more natural products and the environment definitely could too.

Luckily, a lot of people up here at the park are vegetarians, so they're full of good advice. Nathan's supervisor suggested the Moosewood Restaurant Cookbooks, so we bought one and it arrived a couple weeks ago.

All I have to say is WOW! We've tried two recipes this week and both were fantastic! The first was African Pineapple Peanut Stew. I picked this one because it sounded like something out of Buraka (my favorite Madison, WI restaurant), but crazier. The ingredients include Kale, pineapple, peanut butter, and Tabasco sauce, which sound contradictory, but boy was that ever one of the best dishes I've made myself! Wish I had taken a picture, but luckily someone else from a blog called Fat Free Vegan Kitchen already did:


For lunch today, I made the Tomato Garlic Soup with Tortellini, also fabulous. Again, I failed to take a photo, but ours looks a lot like this picture from the Dispensing Happiness blog! Hmmm, it seems people really like to post pictures of meals they've had online. What could be so exciting about that? :)


Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying the Sweet Potato Quesadillas and Pasta Fresca later this week. Look out Dinner Club because I think your next meal is coming with a peel, not a squeal!

No comments: