Sunday, December 6, 2009

Dickinson - Theodore Roosevelt Interstate Airport

My mom arrived at the Dickinson - Theodore Roosevelt Airport this weekend to take in the Cowboy Christmas festivities.  I felt kind of bad for old TR, what with some presidents like John F. Kennedy getting big, important, international airports and poor Theodore's is stuck out in Dickinson.  I felt a little better for him briefly when I found out some people do consider Dickinson the "Crown Jewel" of Western North Dakota, but that all faded away when I saw the sheer magnitude of his airport in person.  Prepare to be amazed, this is the Dickinson - Theodore Roosevelt Airport:



Amenities include several flights to and from Denver, Sidney, MT, and Williston, ND, a total of seven seats in the waiting area, and FREE PARKING.  (Ok, free parking really is awesome.)  Mom's flight from Denver had 5 whole people on it, but it was picking up eight more on its way to Sidney.  However, the plane arrived without her bag, but since it was late and the next flight from Denver came 10 minutes later we waited to see if the lucky bag had made it on the next flight.

That gave me a chance to check out the bag retrieval process!  True to what I would expect around here, the three bags on that flight were quickly loaded onto a pick-up truck, then shuttled about 50 feet to a garage door where we could pick them up inside.  You have to be quick - the garage door is open for about one minute (the length of time it takes everyone to grab their bags).


Cowboy Baggage Handling

But if you're worried about safety at a small airport like that, don't be!  It's signs like this that keep us all safe.


What do you mean I can't take my gun on this plane?

I know I just blasted the airport, but in reality I love it.  Culture shock?  Yes!  Charming airport and easy-to-access flights with a smile?  You betcha!  And you can't beat free airport parking!

No comments: