Saturday, November 29, 2008

Truly Black Friday

This year, my first Thanksgiving in North Dakota, I briefly considered driving all the way to Bismarck (two hours from here) to shop some of the incredible deals I imagined stores having due to the horrible state of our economy. Luckily, I came to my senses and realized that I could get the same deals, be much more comfortable, and save time and gas by shopping online!

It was heaven. While others were out braving the cold and crowds, I sat comfortably in my pajamas checking off almost everyone on my list. Most places now allow you to order gift cards online and almost everywhere offered free shipping. I'm not really sure why you want to even leave the house on the Friday after Thanksgiving - not now that I know how beautifully simple shopping can be.

The reason why this Friday was truly black is this story: Trampled Walmart Employee

That's right, someone died just so that a couple hundred people could get their hands on the latest video game, toy, or electronic gift. I can't express how disgusting this is. We should be able to enjoy capitalism in an orderly fashion. In addition to these shoppers being prosecuted for what they've done, this man and the incident should be remembered in a way that prevents more insanely unnecessary deaths. My idea? Close all the stores on Black Friday next year and declare it "Fiber-Optic Friday". At least then it wouldn't have to be so black.

No comments: