Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hiking Challenge - Day 7

Finally, a gorgeous day! I was supposed to work today in exchange for getting next Thursday off for a trip to the "big city" (Bismarck), but as soon as I stepped outside after lunch all of my good intentions flew out the window.


I decided to do a longer section of the Upper Paddock Creek trail, which was about 6 miles round trip. The landscape was your typical TRNP badlands and the trail pretty much followed the creek the whole way. Despite that, I ended up going farther than I'd wanted due to the fact that I was constantly lost. This park has so many animal trails and sign posts on this route had been knocked over by bison in extremely unfortunate locations. Unfortunate if you mind tromping through tick country with sagebrush up to your belt, which I do not.

Moss Phlox
This is what hiking is supposed to be like! No snow, dirt trail, hot, but with a cool breeze, no people around, beautiful scenery, and happy exhaustion after the hike. I didn't see a lot of wildlife save a pack of four horses on my way out. Oh, and the tick that I found crawling on my dirty clothes in the bathroom. Its new home is now the wastewater treatment plant.

Coal Vein

No comments: